A Chaotic Forum

About Anything

Direct Drive Desulphator

Dr Chaotica

Direct Drive Desulphator

Post  Dr Chaotica on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm

original design by Tucson Shooter. http://leadacidbatterydesulfation.yuku.com/topic/1246

Uses discharge of a capacitor bank to inject from a few, up to hundreds of amps into a battery.

The two meters show cap bank volts and battery voltage. As the sulphate is dissolved back into the electrolyte, the internal resistance of the battery falls, and current tries to increase. This is limited by a resistor, so the bank voltage will drop and the batt voltage rise. This is an indicator the process is underway.

Last edited by Dr Chaotica on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:45 am; edited 3 times in total

Dr Chaotica

Re: Direct Drive Desulphator

Post  Dr Chaotica on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 pm

Built in Two atx PSU cases butted together.

All parts are scrounged from old equipment, except the vero, which I had, and the 555s, which I bought.

18 Volt 3 amp transformer over-wound to 22 Volts, gives about 30 volts unloaded on the caps, which are only 35 volts working. Twin BUZ11 MOSFETs, control the charge time, which is currently a pulse width of 5 microseconds at 1.4 kHz.
    The blue and white twisted wire will connect to a front panel switch, and engage a second capacitor in parallel to the first on the board, thus lengthening the pulse period to 13 uS. Thus realizing a high/lo function.

This will form my background unit and a more powerful device is in construction, with greater options over the frequency and time period, as well as hopefully, a current regulated supply to replace the current limit resistor.
    I have a L296 board I can modify, and this will, if successful, allow fine control over a range of several amps input via a front panel pot.

Dr Chaotica

Post  Dr Chaotica on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:47 am

The final device:

Front panel needs work....

And the basics of the second version:

Dr Chaotica

Post  Dr Chaotica on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 am

I didn't get to do the large second unit yet. I made a small version in a single ATX PSU case for doing the lower capacity AGM instead.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:21 pm