A Chaotic Forum

About Anything

My Desulphator

Dr Chaotica

My Desulphator

Post  Dr Chaotica on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Desulphators, for rejuvenating a poor Lead Acid battery. They are also useful for nicads and NiMH cells.

I've seen two basic desulphators that look useful. The small self powered box that works off the battery itself, and the mains powered version that plugs in.

I've noticed that the self powered version needs one day, per pound of battery weight. That is far too long to wait, not to mention the cost of running the required charger.
    I, therefore, chose the mains powered version. You could always apply the self powered one afterwards, as a means of prevention of further sulphation.

Some use a direct mains connected device, but in the interests of safety, I used a transformer at 25-0-25 volts. This gives the option of a hi/low setting, and In conjunction with the 4 capacitor values I use, that gives 8 possible charge rates.

[img][/img]

The clips are of course, the output.

Dr Chaotica

Re: My Desulphator

Post  Dr Chaotica on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:43 pm

I'll tell yer what. This thing is worth it's weight in gold where resuscitating NiCad drill packs is the goal. I changed some of the caps for mains voltage variety, for no reason other than they were more robust. I left the rest the same.

Reluctant cells have to give up the fight in the end. Proper shorted ones can also be brute force cleared with it, but they're not worth the hassle.

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:16 pm